10.06.2011

shelf re-fashion

Remember these little shelves from Zion's bedroom?


Well, I'm making some changes in his bedroom and these shelves aren't going to work anymore. I thought about sending them to the DI but then I realized I might be able to make them work for an entryway organizer for the hallway leading to the half bath just in from the garage door. The problem... They are each 3' and we only have about a 5.5' wall to put them on. I had my dad cut the overhang ledge off of the right side of one, and the overhang ledge and left corbel off of the other, and then while he was at it I decided to have him cut all of the pegs off, too, and they ended up being a little under 5' when side by side. I hung these two little shelves right next to each other and used wood filler to cover up the tiny gap between them. Then I sanded them down, touched up the paint, added some cute hooks I found at Hobby Lobby and some little baskets I found at Lowes, and... finished! (actually I still need to make labels for the baskets but who knows when I'll get to that) You would never guess that they are two separate shelves.





Now we have a place to hang our jackets, diaper bag, purses, etc and the baskets are great storage for sunglasses, wallets, phone chargers, camera, camcorder, scarfs, mittens, and whatever else we need to have handy. The best part about it is we can now clean out our good sized coat closet and use it for something else. Maybe food storage? I am loving finding ways to make our little house more functional!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Joey said...

I LOVE the shelf Kami! Great idea! I have a coat closet that is WAY TOO full also. You've got me thinking!