10.23.2013

32 weeks & father's day

Now that I'm 4 months behind, I figure I better make an attempt to get caught up before it gets any worse.  So, starting with where I left off in June, brace yourselves for a bunch of new posts.  A lot has happened.  Mainly our little Kasen joined our family a month early, so let's start there.

On June 12th I went in for my 32 week appointment.  I had been having a ton of braxton hicks contractions.  Because of my history of preterm labor with Zion, the nurse decided to run a fetal fibronectin test on me and then checked me and found out I was dilated to a 1+ and 70% effaced.  I left the office not thinking too much of it because I was dilated about the same amount with Zion at 32 weeks and he ended making it to 38 weeks.  Within a couple hours of being home, the nurse called and said the fetal fibronectin test came back positive, explained exactly what that meant, and told me I needed to come in right away and get started on a round of steroids to help the baby's lungs mature.  Basically, fetal fibronectin is a protein that bonds the fetal sack to the inside of the uterus.  A couple weeks before labor, that protein starts to break down.  Because I tested positive for it, that put me at high risk for going into labor in the next couple of weeks.  False positives are pretty common, and even when you do get a true positive, that doesn't necessarily mean you will go into labor early, you are just at high risk for early labor.

I went right in and got my first steroid shot.  The nurse explained that I should be on modified bed rest. No exercise, stay out of the sun, keep hydrated, lay down to rest at least 3-4 times a day, no intercourse, no caffeine, no heavy lifting... etc.  All of it was exactly the same guidelines I was given with Zion.  When I got my second round of steroids the next day, the nurse working was a lot more strict.  She actually said I should be on strict bed rest with bathroom and showering privileges  only.  Because both nurses gave such different advice, I kind of mixed the advice together and decided I know my body best and would use my own judgement to monitor how much activity I could handle.

That weekend was Father's Day.  I felt bad because we had booked a room in Salt Lake for the weekend and had planned on bumming around all weekend, but we weren't able to do that.  We went to City Creek for less than an hour and my contractions had picked up a lot so we just went back to the room.  If I laid down my contractions would calm down a lot so we ended up spending most of the weekend just hanging out in the hotel room watching movies and relaxing, and then venturing out a little for meals.  Zac and Zion went shopping for golf clubs one of the days and stayed back and took a nap.  I felt bad that we weren't able to do as much as we had originally planned, but Zac said he had a perfect weekend and that it was exactly what he wanted.  That's what I love about him.  He is so positive and easy going.  He loves to do anything as long as he's with his family.  I love how much he loves being a daddy to our little boys.  I honestly couldn't ask for a better man.
Zion playing with his cars in our hotel room

Meeting up with Cyd and her boyfriend for breakfast

My boys just cuddling and watching a show on Zion's iPad

Zac showing off his new golf gear.  His real present was a new iPad mini, but then he bought new clubs, clothes and shoes the next day, so that ended up being part of his present, too.

No comments: