1.29.2011

Sewing projects

Zac got me a sewing machine for my birthday.  I've been wanting to learn to sew for a long time.  I took the required 1/4 year sewing class in 8th grade, but other than that I have never sewn a thing.  I figured it would be a fun little hobby, but mostly I just want to be able to design and make my own things.  For the past month and a half it has sat in the closet, but this past week I finally pulled it out.  My first project was this little minky tag blanket.  Zion loves soft stuff.  He digs his head in and rubs it against anything he can find that is soft.... including the velvet booths at Happy Sumo.  He also loves playing with tags so I made this little minky tag blanket for him to play with.



Today I made this cute giraffe blanket for Zion.  I'm really happy with how it turned out.  I didn't have a pattern or anything, and the cream material was pretty stretchy and hard to keep straight, but I think it turned out pretty good.


Zion has had a little cold for the past couple weeks so I've been keeping the humidifier running in his bedroom.  I have it sitting on his nightstand, but the moisture is so bad for the wood that I have to keep something under it.  I've been using a folded blanket but it drives me nuts every time I go in there.  I wanted something that matched and looked like it was supposed to be a part of his room.  I found a really long table runner that matched the rugs in his room perfect. 
 
So I cut it into strips and pieced it back together leaving frayed edges to match the frayed-ness of his rugs.  It looks so much better than the folded blanket! (And no, that is not where I keep the rug, I just put it there so you could see it next to the little table cover)


I have had so much fun sewing these three little projects this week, and I am so excited to do more.  I have a ton of project ideas bouncing around in my head.... thank goodness for nap time so I can work on them!

6 comments:

Chance & Leslee Lundgren said...

Cute!!! You're so lucky that you have that talent! I am working on a few projects right now. We should have a sewing girls night sometime.

Brett, Juliann, and Mae said...

Look at you! All of your projects look great. P.S. Your little man is adorable!

Julia said...

I have a sewing machine and I love it! I seriously use it all the time. I got used to using it by making PJ pants and blankets. I think that tag blanket is such a cute idea.

Carly said...

You are such a domestic diva! I love the blankets. I need to invest in a sewing machine:)

Cambria said...

I really really wanna learn to sew that first one with the taggies Rozzy would LOVE it-

Amy said...

Very cute, I love sewing, I can just never get the corners right on blankets.