6.16.2010

35 weeks!

Hooray!  We've officially made it a week since our last appointment, and on Friday we will officially be 35 weeks!  Today we went in and got some encouraging and some not so encouraging news.  It looks like the precautions we have been taking for pre-term labor are helping.  They sort of "checked" me today.  Not to invasive because they are worried about aggravating my cervix and uterus even more, but they were able to get a general idea.  I'm now 100% effaced, but without really poking around, they think my dilation has stayed about the same, which is encouraging.  The not so encouraging part is that my stomach is measuring 3 weeks to small (a little less than 32 cm and it should be at 35 cm)  Last week I was measuring a little small, and that's part of the reason they did the ultrasound to check for fluids.  My fluids were fine and Zion was measuring right on his due date, but this week I'm measuring even smaller.  Basically, I kind of shrunk this last week which makes them think I am losing fluid and that Zion might not have grown this past week... both caused by all of the stress on the little guy from the pre-term labor.  Tuesday we are scheduled at the hospital to have a non-stress test done on Zion and another ultrasound to see where my fluid is at now.  If either number isn't up to par, they will deliver little Zion right away, because the risks associated with both of those things are even greater than the risks that come with a premature baby.  If everything checks out the way it's supposed to, I have a regular appointment scheduled for Wednesday and they will decide what to do with me then.  So, it looks like we are just playing a fun little game of waiting.  Waiting to see if I go into full blown labor, and waiting to see if I don't but they have to deliver him early anyway.  Or.... it might turn out that in another 5 weeks I'm totally frustrated out of my mind because they've been treating me for pre-term labor for such a long time that I end up not going into labor on my own and I have to be induced.  Once again, I guess we will just have to wait and see!  Did I mention I might pull every single one of my hairs out... one by one... in the mean time?  All of the anticipation, anxiety and stress is driving me nuts!

3 comments:

janhad3 said...

Been through those non-stress tests with both my early-born kids. It'll all be okay, even if he does come earlier than planned. I did the same thing,though - quit measuring bigger, quit gaining weight, etc. Kelsie was 3 lbs. 13 oz and Jonah was 3 lbs. 9 oz. and they remained in NICU for 2 weeks each, but have always been healthy and strong! Chin up!

The Duncan's 365 said...

I agree with the comment above! Your not alone in having all these test, or measuring small etc... which is a good thing, because that means everything will be alright. Lots of pregnant women deal with this, and I didn't realize that until I was on bed rest at the hospital, and 3 other women had growth restricted babies as well!! I all the sudden felt like maybe thi is common, and they will take care of my little bundle. It will all be fine. If you can buy just one more week, little Zion may be just fine to come home with you. 36 weeks is way better than 33 trust me. 33 is a guaranteed 4 wk NICU stay. You are strong and will do great with whatever comes your way, I'm sure of it! The famous saying "We can do hard things" :) good luck. I will keep checking.

Haskell Fam said...

Oh my sweet girl, I am so sorry. I bet you are out of your mind right now. Just relax, things will be great. You are a great mommy and baby Z is so lucky to have you. Just stay strong and know that we all love you guys. Good luck, let me know if you need anything. Love Ya